Tuesday, February 26, 2013

double the fun, cycle 3, day 12


On Saturday I had the pleasure of an early morning wanding and bloodletting at the far-away-weekend-fertility-bunker. Since we were en route to a wedding in New York, it was kind of like a road trip a real pain in the neck. It was only day 9 of my cycle but thankfully – despite an only modestly busy pelvis that had me all kinds of worried – there were four follicles to be found. But they weren’t mature and my estradiol was still only around 300. Ovulation would have to wait until another day.[1]

<Dramatic Pause.> And that day, is today. Yesterday I went in for a second round of early morning wand+blood.[2] And because I need more excitement in my life, I was subjected to perhaps the most painful transvaginal ultrasound ever experienced by anyone in the history of everdom that I have ever had[3]. The wand, suddenly a very blunt and inflexible instrument, was so far in it was basically digging into my neck. Apparently two follicles were “hiding” behind some other “organs “and the tech had to go “digging” for them up behind my eyeballs. At a certain point – when my ultra dramatic wincing became too much to bare – the tech finally stopped, muttering something about how she just can’t stand to cause me pain, etc., and put a note in my file about my hide and seek follicles.

By lunchtime, I heard back from the nurse: three “beautiful!” mature follicles and my estradiol levels were up past 700. I was given my marching orders – Ovidrel shot on Tuesday evening, then sex until Friday – and sent on my smug little way.

So what’s in store for tonight? Well, in one more showing of romance is not dead!, C will have the pleasure of grabbing my muffin top roll of belly fat and jamming it full of Chinese hamster ovary. And then we’ll have sex. Until Friday. Please, look away, I’m blushing.


[1] Which is totally fine because it’s not like we, oh, I don’t know, packed a cooler full of ice and Chinese hamster ovary and drove all over New York with it in the unlikely event that I would have to use it while away from home. No. We did not do that. Because we are not crazy people.

[2] I thought I had come up with yet another kind of badass name for a terrible metal band. But no. This is already (kind of) a thing. (Also, “Motherboar” basically just sends my free wheeling brain here.)

[3] Here’s the truth: transvaginal ultrasounds – in spite of their alarmingly graphic name – usually aren’t that painful. And while I realize the legitimate-rape-pro-mandatory-transvaginal-ultrasound-right-wing-goon-squad would have a field day with my saying so, I am nothing if not candid with you, dear interwebs. But my point is this, I’ve chosen my fate – cold plastic probe on the regular – and other women should be free to choose theirs.

8 comments:

  1. Well maybe that explains a lot...They've inadvertently been treating/examining your kidneys or something. Seriously, I'm glad your hide and seek follicles decided to show up for the party. I was once told after an exam that I had a very 'mobile' cervix, which is odd because I've always found it in the same part of my anatomy. Anyway, enjoy your hamster ovary and your jungle time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks. Also, "mobile cervix" would be a great name for a band (as apparently most things in the world of baby making would be...)

      Delete
  2. Stop reading this comment right now and go and have more sex. Now.... go go go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, happy humping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha....I was laughing at loud in my office while reading this. Sorry for all the pain and suffering. Hopefully it's good for more than making your blog readers chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Re-reading this, I hope you realize I was laughing in a laughing-with-you kinda way, not laughing AT you lying their while she probes your organs. Ouch.

      Delete
    2. Glad I could bring laughter to the office - in whatever form! If my pain and suffering can bring joy to others, I'm all for it. Ha.

      Delete